“When it comes to your goals, people will remember two things: what you finished and what you left unfinished. You control what people will see and say about your goals through your actions.” -Michael J. Fite
Today, I want to challenge, inspire, and motivate you to do one thing: Turn something from unfinished into finished!
What are the rules of the challenge?
There is only one rule to this challenge: Find something from your past that you left unfinished and finish it! It can be anything as long as you are willing to do what it takes to finish it and put it behind you.
Why do I want you to be a finisher?
I want you to become a finisher for the following reasons:
- It allows for you to gain finality and closure on the past.
- It makes you feel good to finish what you started.
- It serves as a catalyst for you to finish other goals and tasks in your life.
Why do I believe you can become a finisher?
Time and time again, whenever you wanted to complete something, you did what it took to make sure it was finished versus unfinished. Whether it was learning how to drive, getting a job, or getting money, you stayed with it until you finished what needed to be done.
How can you become a finisher?
Being a finisher is inside of all of us, but sometimes, we need to be reminded of what it takes. Chris Garrett share on his site five ways you can become a finisher in an article called Defeating Procrastination: Become a Finisher. I will list and give a brief detail of each one below:
- Set yourself achievable goals.
- You want goals that are easy for you accomplish and that will be able to allow for you to build momentum towards finishing future goals.
- Break down big goals into smaller goals that are easy to comprehend and build upon.
- When you goals are easy for you to achieve, it will keep your motivation and inspiration at an all time high.
- Decide what the finished end product will look like before you start.
- You want to know and work towards what the finish product will be, so you should be looking to design what that finish product should be.
- Make sure that the finished end product that you want to see in the end is detailed and straight forward.
- When you know what the finish product should be, you will become focused on achieving that end result.
- Focus on delivering.
- You want to keep your mindset set towards producing results.
- The best way to go about this is to keep it simple and focus on the most direct way of finishing your goals.
- When you are focused on delivering, the results will soon follow.
- Make progress and celebrate it.
- You want to recognize and praise the progress you are making in the process.
- Take the time to highlight your progress and celebrate each moment regardless of the size of the milestone.
- When you make your progress and celebrate each step, it makes your journey worthwhile.
- Fail. A lot.
- Failing is something that you may not like, but great finishers like Henry Ford, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and Donald Trump have all failed a lot, but managed to become great finishers.
- Do not be afraid to fail so that you can learn and make the necessary changes to become a great finisher.
- When you fail a lot, you stand to learn, adapt, and overcome what is necessary to become a great finisher.
My personal story about starting off, leaving, and finishing this challenge.
I started off writing this challenge as normal, but I found myself all day in a writer’s block that almost had me leaving this challenge unfinished. I had to turn to one of my earlier posts for some serious inspiration. What Happens When You Feel Like Giving Up? I was not going to give up on this challenge because I pride myself on finishing what I start when it comes to the inspiration and motivation. I do not only owe this post to myself, but I owe this to you because what you, the reader, mean to me daily.
It’s time for you to go and finish whatever you started and left unfinished!
Let me know what you finished and how did you do it!
Can you finish something you left unfinished?
If you have not had a chance to participate in my other four challenges, please feel free to check them out below and participate:
- 50 Word Inspiration Challenge – Can I Inspire You In 50 Words?
- Share Your Melodies To The World Challenge – What Does Your Melodies Tell The World About You?
- The Twinkle Challenge: Can You Make Someone Twinkle Today?
- The Zing Challenge: What Makes You And The Other People Around You Zing?
-Michael J. Fite