“A simple hello could lead to a million things.” -Unknown
Keep this in mind whenever you find yourself wondering about whether or not you should take the time to speak to someone in passing today, whether it could be a stranger or someone who you know.
Growing up, your parents, teachers, and adults you look up to probably told you a quote similar to this:
Never talk to strangers!
The reason why you were told this was to protect you from talking to people who may prove to be harmful or dangerous to you. For some people, they have carried such words into adulthood.
Today’s goal is all about the power of five letters: H-E-L-L-O! I want to encourage you to not be afraid of the opportunity to say hello and to see what impact it can have on a person when you least expect it.
Now it is time to ask a few questions!
Why would you not say hello to a random person?
This answer will vary for you depending on the day and what is going on at various moments in your life. In helping you find the answers for this question for yourself, I want to offer you four things that can provide some insight:
- Saying hello has the potential to attract people whom you do not want to speak to.
- Saying hello may bring into your life strangers and people whom you have no interest in getting to know.
- Your hello may be met with hostility or danger.
- If someone is not happy or in a good mood, your hello may come across as a threat and could cause conflict in a verbal or physical nature.
- The hello you give towards someone may not be returned at all.
- If someone does not return your hello, you may feel slighted and it could cause you to be cautious about saying hello to random people in the future.
- There is no time or opportunity to say hello for whatever reason.
- When you or someone else is pressed for time, saying hello to a total stranger is not going to be on your mind.
When you look at the four reasons above, it is understandable why you or someone else may choose to avoid all of this and not say hello to someone at random.
What could you be missing out on saying hello to a random stranger?
This is an interesting question because it goes against what you may have been told or taught from childhood. Although you have been kept safe as a result, but it also has had negative on your life as well. Here are four things that you could have missed or is currently missing out on as a result:
- The fear of saying hello to a stranger may cause you to miss out on chances to improve or better your situation (i.e.: job, education, money, etc.).
- Your fear of saying hello may or have caused you to miss out on potential friends, lovers, and partnerships.
- The chance to help or save a life
- If you never say hello to a random stranger, you may be what someone needs to talk to in order to be helped or saved.
- Information and knowledge
- Never saying hello may prevent you from learning about someone or something that can prove to be valuable in your life.
There is a quite a lot that you can miss out on just because you do not desire or have the ability to say hello to a random stranger.
What are four things that a simple can a simple hello do for you?
The power of hello has far-reaching possibilities if you really think about it. Here are a few things that a simple hello can do for you or a total stranger:
- It can create conversation and dialogue.
- Saying hello can serve as an ice breaker to starting communication among yourself and others.
- It can show interest in you for a moment.
- When someone says hello to you, they are taking time out to get to know you.
- It can serve as an outlet.
- Hello has the ability to give an outlet for someone to release what is on their mind so that they can relax and be okay.
- It can open doors and possibilities.
- Saying hello can be what you or someone else need in order to explore what is in store for you or that person, whether it is today or tomorrow.
A simple hello can do a lot for yourself and other people when given a chance.
Let’s remember that a simple hello can be the difference between finding happiness and wandering through life, but you will never know if you are silent and never try to say “hello”.
In the question section, I have a few questions that I want you to give some thought. Feel free to answer and comment below:
- Can you recall the last time you were successful in saying hello to a random stranger?
- What fear did you have about saying hello to that random stranger, if any?
- How did you and the random stranger benefit from you or them saying hello?
- How did that moment moving forward affect how you speak to random strangers today?
- What would you recommend to someone who is afraid to say hello to a random stranger?
Your answers and comments can help yourself or someone else consider the possibilities and gain the confidence to say hello to a random stranger in the world.