“I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” -Jimmy Dean
Keep this in mind whenever you are trying to reach your destination.
It is amazing how the wind can bring us certain things.
- It can go from hot to cold and back instantly.
- It can bring us sunshine and thunderstorms without notice.
- It can be calm and it can be intense when it needs to be.
Now to your life and your winds:
- You can experience being hot and cold towards people instantly.
- You can have good times and bad times without notice.
- You can go from having a calm life to having an intense life when the time calls for it.
The two problems that people face in trying to deal with the winds is the following:
- People try to predict which way the wind will blow in their lives. No matter how many psychic readings you get or horoscopes you may get, there is no real reliable indicator to tell you which way life will take you. There is a reason why meteorologists are not always accurate with the temperature and the winds, and it because they can never truly predict what comes at random. The same is true when it comes to you or anyone else trying to predict what may come in your life.
- People try to change which way the wind blows in their lives. You know no matter which way you stand, the wind will continue to blow in the direction it wants to go. In your life, you cannot change which way the wind will blow in the good and bad things in your life. If it wants to come, regardless of which way you are positioned, it will come. There is nothing you can do to change that.
So if you cannot predict the wind, and if you cannot change the wind, then what you do about the wind? There quote above gives us our answer in that we can adjust the sails to always reach our destination. I will explain in this small story sample:
Think you of you trying to get to work. Your goal is to get to work on time without any issues, and you feel like you can do it. You wake up thinking everything is good. You shower, and fix breakfast, and then you walk out the door to face….rain. You either run back into the house to get an umbrella or raincoat, or you just run into the car as fast as you can.
So now you are in your car and you think that due to the traffic report telling you there is a delay on your main route, you try a different route to find…even worse traffic! Now you are sitting there facing a decision to either stay in the current traffic or plug in an another route into your GPS.
And now you are back on track heading to your destination and then you get pulled over by a police officer. You spend 15 minutes with the officer and explain why you were speeding. He eventually let you go, and after all of that you still made it to work.
What this story sample reminds us is that even though we cannot control the variables, we can make adjustments to control the outcome. The adjustments will vary depending on the situation, but you must be flexible with your options. Do not feel that just because your first option is gone does not mean that there is another option for you if you choose. It is okay that random variables blow into your life because that is how learn to grow and evolve our critical thinking skills. Let’s remember that no matter how the wind blows in your life, if you never make the right adjustments in your life, you will never be able to reach your destination in life.
I have two simple question to ask you based of my previous work, which is focused on what you will do now and how you will handle the situations you are in. Feel free to read them when you get a chance. Also feel free to comment below because you may hold the answer someone else needs to know in how to adjust their sails despite the wind.
Both of these questions lead to the most important question: How will you get to your destination despite the wind?
-Michael J. Fite