“People witness you daily to see what you are going say and do. What you say and do determines if people will witness mediocrity or greatness.” -Michael J. Fite
Keep this in mind whenever you wonder if people are truly watching you.
Let’s get into some questions and answers!
Are people truly watching you?
The answer is simply: YES! Whether it is at home, at work, or anywhere you go, people are constantly witnessing everything about you. When you are around someone or something, whether you know them or not, they are witnessing you.
What is a witness?
Merriam-Webster defines a witness as:
A person who sees something happen.
A person who makes a statement in a court about what he or she knows or has seen.
A person who is present at an event and can say that it happened.
A witness simply watches someone or something, and can recall what they watched.
What are people witnessing about you?
Whenever you are out and around people, they are witnessing everything about you. Whether or not you want them to see you, they are going to see you. Your appearance, your words, where you live, what you drive, and your actions are just a few of the things that people are witnessing about you.
Can you control what a witness sees about you?
This question has two answers:
- You can control everything about you and even make adjustments based on what people have witnessed and provided feedback to you on.
- Ultimately, it comes down to what people see at the time that they see you. You may try to look and be your best, but the time that they witness you may come when you are not at your best.
Simply put, you can only control so much, but it comes down to what the witness sees at the moment they see you.
How can a witness be of value to you?
You may not think a witness mean anything to you, but in reality witnesses mean a lot. Here are a few ways that a witness can be of value to you.
- A witness can be your lifeline in case you get in trouble and need someone to verify your story.
- A witness can be the one to tell your story when nobody else was there to see it.
- A witness can remember something that you may have forgotten.
- A witness can wind up being a fan or lover of what you say and do.
- A witness can keep telling your story and legacy long after you have died.
- Without a witness, a lot of your moments would go unnoticed where you would wish you had someone there to capture them.
I encourage you to take a look around at all the witnesses that you will see today. Whether they speak to you or not, just look at their eyes. They are watching you to see what you will say and do next. Take the time to think before you do something you wish people were not becoming a witness to. Let’s remember that when a witness is watching you, be mindful that any misstep with your words and actions can be the difference between people witnessing greatness and people witnessing mediocrity.
I have a few questions that I would love for you to give thought to. Feel free to answer and comment below:
- Who has been the most important witness in your life?
- What did they witnessed that was important to you?
- How has their testimony of your events impacted your life and legacy?
Your answers can help yourself or someone else gain better understand today…
- What will people witness about you today?
-Michael J. Fite