“Maybe one day, I’ll be what you need. But don’t wait too long…because the day you want me, may be the day I’ve finally given up…” -Unknown
Keep this in mind when it comes to the power of maybe when it comes to your opportunities.
What does maybe mean?
Merriam-Webster defines maybe as:
- Possibly but not certainly.
Think of maybe as being the ultimate 50/50 word. It lets us know that there is a chance, but there are no guarantees.
Where does maybe go wrong for you?
Using the see-saw and scale methods, when it comes to weighing out the possibilities against the uncertainty, uncertainty seems to weigh more in the minds of most people. At the root of uncertainty are fears and doubts. When you allow your uncertainty to rule the thought process, that maybe see-saw and scale swings to the not certain side. When that happens, you will either certainly not succeed because you either fail, quit, or certainly not try.
How to turn your maybe in success?
Using the see-saw and scale methods again, it is time to put more weight to the possibilities side and keep it there. Here are five ways you can do this.
- Gather your resources.
- Get what you need so that you can have a good chance of succeeding in whatever it is you want to do.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people.
- When you have like-minded people who are going or are where you are going, it helps to keep your mind focused on succeeding.
- Do not be afraid of failure.
- You cannot be afraid of failing because that is how you learn from your mistakes and make adjustments.
- Take action.
- When you take action, you are moving towards making that maybe into success.
- Move forward and do not look back.
- Keep your head focused on where you want to go and have no regrets about the past.
When you do these five things, you can certainly do anything. If you need proof, look at some of your own greatest accomplishments in your life.
I encourage you to let your possibilities rule over your uncertainties when it comes to your maybe. When you let your possibilities rule, you can do anything you want and become successful. When you let your uncertainties rule, you find yourself missing out on opportunities. You ultimately are in control of which one will rule in your decision-making process, so choose wisely. Let’s remember that your future lies in the balance of your maybe and how you swing the balance can determine whether you will have it or lose it.
I want to ask you a few questions and please give them some thought. Feel free to answer and comment below.
- Have you ever been faced with a tough maybe decision?
- How were you able to let your possibilities rule over your uncertainties?
The answers can help answer the ultimate question about today’s opportunity before you:
- How will you swing your maybe see-saw and scale towards success?
-Michael J. Fite