“Progress is slow, it is uneven, it is fragile and in some parts of the world it is being erased.” -Angelina Jolie
Keep this in mind about your progress.
Each day, whether you believe it or not, you are making some type of progress. Whether good or bad, you are progressing towards something in your life. If you are not seeing how you are progressing, then it becomes a difficult task for you to see and recognize where you are going.
Today’s inspiration is all about understanding your progress and how you can use it in order to make your life better. Even if you are making negative progress in your life, just learning how to recognize it can help you make the changes to turn things around and make the positive progress that you crave and desire.
What does progress look like?
In order to get an idea of what progress looks like, you must get the definition of progress first. Merriam-Webster defines progress as:
- A forward or onward movement.
- Gradual betterment.
Progress comes down to some type of movement. Even when you are not physically moving, you are moving in other areas, you are always making progress. Now taking Angelina Jolie’s quote, I want to break down what progress looks like:
- Progress takes time, and in some cases, longer than we expected or anticipated.
- No two things that you are working on in your life will have the same level of progression.
- Progress works to where if you do the slightest thing to alter or change it, it will become lost, and then either you never get it back, start over, or find that a new progression will take place.
- The negative and harmful thoughts, words, and actions of yourself and others can wipe out any progress that you have made when you are not careful.
With progress having such a shape, it lets you know that as with anything that you do in life, the results are unpredictable and can vary.
Why does it seem like you are not making any progress in your life?
There are times in your life where it may seem like you are not going anywhere or doing anything that represents progress, but as I have mentioned earlier, you are making progress in some shape, form, or fashion. Here are three facts for you to consider:
- If you are not thinking, saying, or doing the things that will allow you to make progress, then you will not progress towards who or what it is that you want.
- You could be making progress as we speak, but if you do not believe or see it for yourself, then you will never know what progress you have made and where you are going.
- You will always be responsible for answering why you have not made the process you wanted or expected regardless of the people and circumstances.
If you are finding that you are not making any progress in your life, then it is time for you to make some changes that will allow for you get the results that you are looking for.
What are six steps towards making progress and achieving your goals?
Although each thing you will do will have different progressions and results, there are six steps that you can take to ensure that you are on track to get whatever you are looking for.
- Get to know everything about who or what it is that you want.
- Take the time to research and gather as much information about who or what it is that you want so that you are informed about what that particular process looks like.
- Get to know the ups, downs, pros, cons, requirements, timeline, and anything else important towards you getting the positive progression that you seek.
- This can be done online, in a library, in a museum, or even by speaking with people who have valuable information and experience.
- Plan goals and set measurable checklists.
- Plan your goal with alternatives and with the intention that you are going to be there from start to finish so that you can see the particular process.
- Instead of timelines, utilize a checklist where you can mark off the line items without feeling like you have to rush due to a timeline.
- You can write all of this on a board or journal, or you can type it on your computer.
- Commit yourself to starting and finishing.
- Mentally, physically, and spiritually, devote yourself towards doing what it takes to make progress and complete your goals and dreams.
- Get rid of anyone or anything that will stand in your way of achieving your goals and dreams.
- Commit yourself by concentrating solely on your goals and putting the necessary people and things in place to help you focus primarily on making process and achieving your goals and dreams.
- Do things that are relative to your plan and/or checklist.
- Only do the tasks that are on your plan and checklist in order to show progress.
- Avoid doing things and talking to people that will distract and prove to be a waste of time.
- You can do this by simply following your plan or checklist.
- Mark off and acknowledge whenever you complete a task on your plan and/or checklist.
- When you are done with completing a task on your plan or checklist, cross it off.
- Make sure that you give acknowledge to yourself that you did a good job with completing a task and making progress.
- You can do this by writing it down on your board or journal, typing online, saying it loud and proud, or even treating yourself to something special (award, treat, clothes, etc.)
- Be patient with everything.
- Learn to just take things one step and one day at a time in order to avoid rushing yourself and missing out on seeing the progress that you have made.
- Avoid getting mad at people and things that you cannot control so that you do not stress out and cause damage towards making progress.
- You can do this through meditation, prayer, and even your daily affirmations.
If you can do these six steps, you will able to not only see the progress for yourself, but appreciate the results that will come from them.
Let’s remember that progress may not come or appear how you want it, but as long as you are doing something productive towards your goals and dreams, you will continue to be making progress.
I want to share a video with you in regards to progress and some of the things that it will take for you to make progress. The speakers in this video requires you one thing from you in order to make progress: YOU GOT TO DO SOMETHING! Please check out the video below:
In addition to the video, I want you to give some thought to the questions that I have for you. Feel free to comment and answer below:
- Are you making progress in what it is that you want to do?
- Why are or why aren’t you making progress?
- What are you doing to make progress and achieve your goals and dreams?
- How do you know and acknowledge whenever you are making progress?
- What would you tell someone else who is trying to identify progress in their lives?
Your comments and answers can help yourself or someone else understand that progress is vital towards success, and if you cannot see it or is not doing anything to get it, you cannot experience the progression and success that you are looking for.