“Always be generous with your encouraging words. You may find they will inspire others to be the best they can be.” -Catherine Pulsifier
Keep this in mind when it comes to how important it is to be generous with encouragement.
Words just happen to be the most important weapon you have on you. They have the power to either uplift or degrade a person. They can either motivate you or demotivate you.
For today’s inspiration, it is all about sharing with you how important it is to be generous with a gift that we all have inside of us: encouragement and positivity. We will take a look at the following:
- What does it mean to be generous?
- Why do people fear being generous?
- Why am I generous with my encouraging words?
- How can being generous with your encouraging words impact others?
Now that we have the questions, let’s find the answers!
What does it mean to be generous?
Merriam-Webster defines generous as:
Freely giving or sharing money and other valuable things.
Providing more than the amount that is needed or normal : abundant or ample.
Showing kindness and concern for others.
Being generous is something that shows off our compassionate side and let people know that we are willing to go beyond what is necessary in order to make sure everything is okay.
Why do people fear being generous with encouraging words?
This answer comes back the parable of the sower who was scattering seed. In Matthew 13:1-9 in the Bible, Jesus share the story of how the farmer scattered the seeds and this is how they fell:
- Some fell on by the wayside where birds would come and eat them.
- Some fell on rocky ground where the soil was not deep enough.
- Some fell among thorns and got choked by the thorns.
- Some did actually fall on good soil and did grow to bear fruit.
The parable reminds me of the fear and concerns people have concerning their encouraging words, which are similar to the seeds that farmers plant.
- Some people fear that their encouraging words may not be sinking in with someone.
- Some people fear that their encouraging words may not reach its target audience.
- Some people fear that their encouraging words may get choked up by the negativity.
Being fearful about generous about spreading your words can lead to you missing out on the opportunity to inspire and motivate someone else.
Why am I generous with my encouraging words?
For a lot of you, you have seen that I have written and share a lot of inspiration and encouragement to you. For some, you may think that I am crazy for sharing a ton of motivation. For others, you may think that there is no way you can keep up at this pace.
Here is why I am generous with my encouraging words?
- I know that every time I write, I am reaching out to someone who needs me to speak to them.
- I know that when I give my encouragement to someone else, it will have a way of coming back to me.
- I know that my words have the power to motivate and inspire someone else.
My greatest joy in being generous with my encouraging words when people read and share their stories with me. It reaffirms that I am making an impact in the world, and that what counts.
How can being generous with your encouraging words impact others?
There no such thing as being too generous with your encouraging words because you never know whom may be need to hear them and how it can impact someone. Here is how they can impact other people:
- It can inspire other people to try to give their best.
- Your words can be what someone needs to do something that can help them become successful and allow for them to give maximum effort.
- It can help someone recover from a setback or loss.
- Your words can be what a person needs to get over something that has them feeling down and out.
- It can bring a much-needed smile to a person’s face.
- Your words may be what a person needs to turn that frown into a smile and just feel good about life.
- It can let a person know how valuable and/or important they are in the world.
- When a person hears how much they are worth, it can be the fuel they need to perform and give their all at a high level.
Your encouraging words have that kind of power, so be generous to give it out when you see it is necessary.
I encourage you to take the time look at the times where you have been generous with your encouraging words. I am sure when you gave those words freely without any hesitance, you could see the positive impact it caused in the lives of people who received and used it. Do not worry about controlling your words because in doing so, you may wind up preventing someone who really needs it from receiving it. Let’s remember that being generous with your encouraging words is free and the impact that you can have on the world is one that will continue to believe and think that they can do anything.
I have a few questions in which I would love for you to give some thought. Feel free to answer and comment below:
- Can you recall a time where you were generous with your encouraging words?
- What made you decide to generous with your encouraging words at that particular moment?
- What was the impact of your generosity when it came to offering your encouraging words?
- What would you tell someone who may be deciding if they should be generous with their encouraging words?
Your answers and comments can help someone understand and figure out in their lives this important question:
- How can being generous with your encouraging words can impact others?
-Michael J. Fite